Bangladesh Computer Council (BCC), evolved from the National Computer Board (NCB), which was a Government body under the control of President Secretariat. BCC was created in 1989 as an autonomous body by an Ordinance known as the Bangladesh Computer Council Ordinance, 1989. The Ordinance was replaced by the Bangladesh Computer Council Act, 1990, and BCC was placed under the administrative jurisdiction of Ministry of Science and ICT. BCC did not have an office building of its own. The organization was carrying out its activities in a rented house for long time. Considering the basic needs of BCC a project entitled, “Strengthening of Bangladesh Computer Council (Phase-I)” was initiated in 1995, to construct BCC’s own Building and to increase its manpower, so that it can efficiently perform the mandates given to the BCC by the Bangladesh Computer Council Act. 1990. The Project was approved by the Planning Commission on 22-04-1995. The Government allotted 1.243 acres of land (including approach road) to construct its own Building at Sher-E-Bangla Nagar Administrative Zone. (Plot No. E-14/X). Considering the importance of the location and high value of the land, the Council Committee of BCC decided to build up a 15-storied building for BCC on the above mentioned plot in its 20th Council Meeting held on 22-07-97. It was decided to call an open competition for Architectural Design of BCC Bhaban. The Model/Design for BCC Bhaban prepared by M/S BASHAT Architects Engineers was selected through the open competition and was approved by the 21st Council Meeting held on 19-07-98 [Decision:2(21)/98].
As per discussion of the Meeting dated 20 April 2002, chaired by the Member, Planning Commission, Dr. Shah Mohammad Farid, followed by the Ministry’s Letter No. MOST/S-14/BCC-5/2002/139 dated 29 April 2002, the Project Proforma was made for Construction up to 3rd Floor of
the BCC Bhaban. The foundation stone of BCC Bhaban was laid by the then Hon’ble Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on May 08, 2001. BCC Bhaban was constructed up to 3rd floor having foundation of 15 storied building and handed over to BCC on June 2005 by PWD. At present Bangladesh Computer Council, Bangladesh Korea Institute of Information and Communication Technology (BKIICT), and a few project offices e.g. Establishment of Computer Labs and Initiate ICT Training in District Level Educational Institutes, Development of National ICT Infra-Network for Bangladesh Government (BanglaGovNet), and Support to Hi-Tech Park Authority to Establish Hi-Tech Park at Kaliakoir are housed in BCC Bhaban. The Government has declared ICT as one of the thrust sector and is committed to make Digital Bangladesh by 2021. In view with the commitment, the Government has approved the National ICT Policy 2009. As per the policy document of the Government, it is essential to initiate number of development projects which needs basic infrastructure as well as accommodation. To mention a few, Office of the Controller of Certifying Authorities, Office of the Hi-Tech Park Authority, an ICT Business Incubation Center, a Software Finishing School, ICT Capacity Development Company (ICDC) Ltd. etc. will be accommodated at BCC Bhaban after completing up to the 10th floor of BCC Bhaban.
The 1st Project Evaluation Committee (PEC) meeting was held in the Planning Commission on 25.11.09. As per the decision of the meeting, an Inter-ministerial Committee was formed by the PEC to justify the needs of initiating the project and rationalizing the estimated cost of the project.
The committee examined the objectives of construction of 15 storied BCC Bhaban at Agargaon, Sher-e-Bangla Nagor, The committee visited BCC Bahban physically and examined the present existing floor spaces and its utilization. According the recommendations of the committee upto 5th floor of BCC Bhaban will be required for its head office and for executing different development projects and programs for achieving the goal of Digital Bangladesh. BCC Bhaban can be furnished as the ICT focal point in the country and be considered as a centre of excellence for the Government, Academia and Industry. The estimated cost of the project was reviewed and rationalized by the committee. The DPP was recasted according to the decisions of the 1st PEC meeting held on 25.11.2009 and was submitted again to the Planning Commission.
The 2nd PEC meeting on the project was held on 09.08.2010 in the Planning Commission.
The 2nd phase of the project is initiated to construct BCC Bhaban from 4th floor to 10th floor under the project entitled “Strengthening BCC through Infrastructural Development” to meet the upcoming demand of suitable infrastructure for the ICT sector development of the country.
The project was approved in the ECNEC meeting held on 24-02-2011 with the total cost of Tk. 37, 85.08 Lac and to be implemented from July 2011 to June 2014. Now, it is deemed necessary to accommodate official space of some other important offices that are newly created like ICT Division, ICT Department etc in this BCC Bhaban. Besides, it is desired by the Secretary of ICT Division that the BCC Bhaban should be the green (smart) building. Under this circumstances, the project DPP has been revised and submitted it to the planning commission again. In this revision, the BCC Bhaban is proposed to construct upto 14th floor with green (smart) technology.
· To strengthen the activities of Bangladesh Computer Council (BCC) and other potential ICT Agencies through the extension of BCC Bhaban from 4th floor to 14th floor.
· To construct BCC Bhaban as an intelligent building with green technology features by incorporating Building
· Automation, Renewable Energy (Solar) and Water management etc.
· To facilitate emerging ICT Institutional arrangement under one roof for catering and monitoring ICT/e-Governance activities of the Government from BCC Bhaban.
· To create an environment of a centre of excellence for Government, Academia and industry by accommodating potential ICT agencies, authorities, institutions and industries at a single complex.
· Development of suitable physical infrastructure for achieving the targets of Vision-2021: Digital Bangladesh.
Describe briefly the main features of revision with justification:
1. To construct rest of the floors (11th – 14th) of BCC Bhaban as per the Architectural & Structural Design on existing 15-storied foundation.
2. To accommodate the office space for the newly created Ministry of Information and Communication Technology and for the office of the Directorate of Information and Communication Technology.
3. To accommodate all permanent utilities services e.g. RCC Overhead Tank, Lift Machine room, Solar Panel, designed box shaped Parapet, Rain water Harvesting etc.
4. To save the investment against temporary arrangement on the incomplete roof of the building.
5. To adjust the construction cost due to the change of the schedule of rates of PWD. Because, the cost of the project was estimated as per the schedule of rates 2008, this has been modified and updated in 2011 by PWD.
6. To accommodate the cost of the additional items for using mechanical coupler as a new technology to extend the vertical Rods of the columns as per the recommendations of the design section of PWD.
7. To accommodate the cost of the additional items e.g. Chemical Admixture for High strength concrete, preparation of safety shade, extra floor height staging for main void and 6th floor outer peripheral area, intelligence sanitary fitting and fixture etc.
8. To construction 15-storied BCC bhaban as an intelligent building with green technology feature by incorporating automated sanitary fittings, electric fitting & fixture, providing double glazed glass instead of normal glass to protect sunlight and thus reducing heat of the building upto 40% – 60% and saving energy of the building also, the estimated cost has been increased to 6970.78 lakh. To accommodate the cost for adopting green (smart) technology it’s needed to be revision.
গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকারের মাননীয় প্রধানমন্ত্রী
জনাব সজীব ওয়াজেদ জয়
মাননীয় প্রধানমন্ত্রীর আইসিটি বিষয়ক উপদেষ্টা
জুনাইদ আহ্মেদ পলক এমপি
সুবীর কিশোর চৌধুরী
স্বপন কুমার সরকার